We have a tendency to expect that the minority changes and adapts to the majority codes of conducts, beliefs, expectations and so on. Basically, we ask them to change their colors away. This is a desire of integration, not of inclusion. Integration means people must change themselves to be accepted. They must become red even if they are definitely yellow. Some women must have behaved like men earlier in order to go forward for example . This is a denial of our differences and richness. Inclusion allows everyone to keep his color and mix his colorful ideas, competences and experience with the one of others making the everything richer and more adaptable to a multicolored world.
We already explored the other factors that influence inclusion: fairness, openness, cooperation. Let's talk about Support.
A. A definition of support
B. How to create a support strategy my your company?
5 Steps to support your employees defined as "diversed"
- Acknowledge the need of a support strategy (racism and sexism issues for example, handicapped people also face problems)
- Find out what the people in the minority experience
- Work on rules of do's and don'ts (list behavior that you will not tolerate and indicate the punishment)
- Create a specific role to collect and work on complains
- Review the level of inclusion regularly.